Opening or Relocating a Practice

Below is general contact information that will assist you in relocating a practice, opening a new practice, or retiring from practice. Please be advised that the information provided is not comprehensive and may not list everyone you need to contact.

Publish a notice informing the public and include an address where medical records may be obtained. This is now required by law per Florida Administrative Code 64B8-10.002(4).  A copy of this notice must also be submitted to the Florida Board of Medicine.

Physician can also notify patients in writing and include an address where medical records may obtained. This is NOT required by law.

Board of Medicine
If you have moved, you should contact the Board of Medicine and provide them with your new address. You must provide this information in writing. When notifying the Board of Medicine regarding an address change, you should provide the physician address for the primary place of practice and include your licensure number with all correspondence. Write to: Department of Health, Florida Board of Medicine, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, BIN # CO3, Tallahassee, Florida 32300-1753; 850-488-0595. You can also update your physician profile online:


Board of Medicine – Abandoned Medical Records Alert (July 21, 2015)

The Florida Department of Health is experiencing an increase in the number of reports regarding abandoned medical records.

In an effort to curb this trend, the Florida Board of Medicine is sending out this campaign to educate doctors regarding the retention and disposition of medical records.

The Board of Medicine and the Legislature recognize the need for maintenance and retention of medical records in order to protect and serve patients. For that reason, the Legislature has directed the Board to promulgate rules setting standards that will provide a minimum requirement for retention and disposition of patient records of deceased practitioners and practitioners relocating and terminating practice. Rule 64B8-10.002, F.A.C., sets forth standards which if not met will constitute a violation of Section 456.058, Florida Statutes, and will subject the physician to disciplinary proceedings by the Department of Health. Physicians should retain records as long as needed not only to serve and protect patients, but also to protect themselves against adverse actions.

When a licensed physician terminates practice or relocates and is no longer available to patients, patients should be notified of such termination, sale, or relocation and unavailability by the physician causing to be published once during each week for four (4) consecutive weeks, in the newspaper of greatest general circulation in each county in which the physician practices or practiced and in a local newspaper that serves the immediate practice area, a notice which shall contain the date of termination, sale, or relocation and an address at which the records may be obtained from the physician terminating or selling the practice or relocating or from another licensed physician or osteopathic physician. A copy of this notice shall also be submitted to the Board of Medicine within one (1) month from the date of termination, sale, or relocation of the practice. The licensed physician may, but is not required to, place a sign in a conspicuous location on the facade of the physician’s office or notify patients by letter of the termination, sale, or relocation of the practice. The sign or notice shall advise the licensed physician’s patients of their opportunity to transfer or receive their records.

A licensed physician relocating or terminating practice shall keep adequate written medical records, as required by Section 458.331(1)(m), Florida Statutes, for a period of at least five years from the last patient contact.

The executor, administrator, personal representative or survivor of a deceased physician licensed pursuant to Chapter 458, Florida Statutes, shall retain medical records in existence upon the death of the physician concerning any patient of the physician for at least a period of two (2) years from the date of the death of the physician.

For more information, please visit our website at to view Florida Statute 456.057, 456.0575, 456.058 and Florida Administrative Code 64B8-10.


NICA (The Florida Birth-related Neurological Injury Compensation Association)
All physicians licensed in Florida are required to pay into the NICA fund. To ensure that you receive all of your invoices, you should inform NICA of any change in address. NICA will process a change of address provided by telephone or written correspondence. All correspondence must include your licensure number. Write to: Neurological Injury Compensation Association (NICA), PO Box 14567, Tallahassee, Florida 32317-4567; 850-488-8191. Visit NICA online at


Medicare Provider Number
It is likely that you will be providing medical services to Medicare beneficiaries. In order to get paid by the Medicare program, you must complete an enrollment application with the Medicare Carrier (BCBS). Medicare has several different forms. The form(s) that you will need to complete depend on your current situation. Below is a summary of all enrollment forms:

— General Enrollment
— Change of Enrollment
— Individual Reassignment of Benefits Application

To order a form, contact: Medicare Customer Service at 866-454-4992 or write to: Medicare Provider Registration Department, PO Box 2078, Jacksonville, Florida 32231-1109. You may also download the applications or apply online at


Medicaid Provider Number
To obtain a new Medicaid provider number or inform Medicaid of a change in address, contact Medicaid online at or by phone at 800-289-7799 – Option 4. The Duval Regional Service Center can be contacted at 921 N Davis St., Bldg A Ste 160, Jacksonville, Florida 32209-6806, (904) 353-2100 or (800) 273-5880.


Laboratory License
If you will be performing any laboratory services in your practice, you must comply with the Clinical Laboratory Act (CLIA) of 1998 and state licensure requirements. Visit the Agency for HealthCare Administration (AHCA) website for additional information.


Tax Identification Number
As an employer, you will need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. To apply for an EIN, you must fill out Form SS-4. If you will be providing “taxable” services or selling “taxable” items out of the office, you will need a state tax number. Please contact the Department of Revenue-Application Acceptance Dept. at 850-487-7000 or visit for further details.


DEA Registration Unit
The DEA, Office of Diversion Control, Registration Unit, has a toll free number that registrants may call 24 hours a day. This number, 1-800-882-9539, is equipped with a voice mail system that may be used to request:

— New applications for registration;
— Renewal applications;
— Duplicate certificates of registration;
— DEA order forms; and
— Change of address

Callers may also opt to speak with a Registration Assistant during normal business hours (8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST) or visit for more information and forms.


Notifying Patients
If you are relocating your practice there are legal requirements regarding notifying patients – but only if you are becoming unavailable to your patients.

This information is reproduced, with permission, from the Florida Medical Association (FMA) publication, “The Legal Doctor.” It does do not constitute legal advice and is presented for educational purposes only. The information should not be taken as a substitute for legal advice, which should be obtained from personal legal counsel. The information is based upon current Florida and federal law and is subject to change based on changes in Florida and federal law.